SCHUBERTH M1 PRO + SC1M: Modern Open Face & Integrated Electronics

การสนทนาใน 'Inter News' เริ่มโดย Inter News, 23 สิงหาคม 2019

By Inter News on 23 สิงหาคม 2019 at 22:32
  1. Inter News

Inter News Moderator ทีมงานสมาชิก

ข้อความ:
    Introduction​

SCHUBERTH has long been known for its high-end class-leading helmets. After reading Cameron Martel’s recent review of the C4 Pro, I was intrigued to try out a SCHUBERTH helmet. Shortly after Cam’s review, the opportunity came up to try the open face M1 PRO, and I jumped at it.

The M1 PRO is SCHUBERTH’s entry in the open face helmet category. In the past, I have worn half helmets and open face helmets. For the last three seasons, I have almost exclusively used a modular or full-face helmet. I was looking forward to feeling a bit of wind in my face, especially with the temperature rising in the middle of the summer.

As I mentioned in a recent review of the Nexx X.G100 Racer, I am not one for a lot of flashy colors on my riding gear or any clothing for that matter. That helmet was a few baby steps in the direction of “embracing color”. Well, in the color department, this helmet could be viewed as a few giant steps back. The color… Matte Stonegrey!

My hope was that the helmet would arrive for an annual three-day trip that I make with a group of friends, some of which I have known since my early teens. Sadly, the helmet did not arrive on time. Instead, my local riding buddies Norm and Peter had been anxious to ride a twisty secondary highway that crosses the beautiful Muskoka and Parry Sound regions north of Toronto. I thought the 500 km ride would be a great initial test for the SCHUBERTH M1 PRO.

I enjoyed the ride so much, that a week later, I did a similar loop with my brother Bob and friend Tim, hitting many of the same roads. So, along with a few other riders, I have been lucky enough to ride about 932 miles/1500 kilometers with the SCHUBERTH M1 PRO.

[​IMG]

Shopping Now? We Recommend:

webBikeWorld works closely with Revzilla, 2WHEEL, and Amazon to provide our testers with quality products to review. While we have an affiliate relationship and receive a commission from items purchased, this addition comes at no additional cost to you. It is the primary way we pay for our site and reviewers.

RevZilla

[​IMG]

Buy SCHUBERTH M1 PRO Helmet on RevZilla

Buy Schuberth SC1M on RevZilla

Features​

From SCHUBERTH:

Product Description​

If you are looking for a jet helmet that perfectly combines quality, safety, and functionality with a modern design – look no further. Following zeitgeist stylish design lines of the past, the SCHUBERTH M1 PRO is the right helmet for anyone who wants to accentuate their ride.

The inner liner utilizes an entirely new fabric ensuring even more comfort and the redesigned top contributes to the helmets unique style. Thanks to the included trim/visor/peak, the M1 PRO offers more than just one configuration and caters to your individual needs.

• A seamless interior liner ensures high-end comfort while also allowing the inside of the helmet to breath
    • Versatile: the M1 PRO trim/visor/peak is already included and the helmet can be run with or without the visor
    • Communicative: pre-installed hardware for the snap-in communication system SC1M
    Colors & Graphics​

• 3 solid colors
    • 4 graphics
    Helmet Sizes​

• XS (53) to XXL (63)
    Weight​

• Starting at 1450 grams (including speakers and microphones)
    Helmet Shell​

• Low weight meets excellent protection – glass fiber combined with special resin is compressed in a vacuum at high pressure to form an exceptionally sturdy yet uniquely light helmet shell
    • Carefully crafted in our proprietary wind tunnel, aerodynamically optimized for high stability without buffeting
    Inner Shell​

• Multipath channels in the EPS liner allow for excellent ventilation throughout the helmet
    • The complex segmentation of our specially optimized EPS foam liner ensures optimal shock absorption to keep your head protected
    Features​

• High-quality interior with seamless head pad – perfect fit and outstanding wearing comfort
    • Removable and washable inner lining; allergen-free and anti-bacterial (Oeko-Tex 100 certified)
    • Face shield with first-class optics provide visibility without any distortion
    • Reflective elements make riding even safer
    • Anti-fog ready face shield
    • Integrated flip-down visor
    • 2 helmet shell sizes for optimal fit with excellent protection
    • Pre-installed speakers, microphones and antennae to complement the SCHUBERTH communication system SC1M (Sena)

[​IMG]

First Impressions​

SCHUBERTH says this helmet is the right accessory for every hip bike – whether cruiser, tourer, naked or big-wheeler. When I think of the current crop of hip bikes, I think retro.

I think the M1 PRO looks are a bit too modern for that crowd, but it would certainly fit with the commuter, cruiser, touring, and sport-touring crowd. Going for a trip or an all-day ride, use the full visor… short cruise around town, take off the visor and put the peak in its place. You have options.

[​IMG]

At first glance, the first thing that came to mind was quality. The paint was flawless and the fit and finish of the interior were excellent. I found the modern style of the helmet to be unique and the color (or lack of color) to be right up my alley.

The integration of the SC1M communications device is about as easy as it gets. The speakers and microphones are pre-installed in the helmet. The RC3 remote control is already paired to the SC1M. All you have to do is remove the cover at the back of the helmet and plug in the SC1M. It truly is plug and play.

In the box, included:

• The M1 PRO with attached visor
    • Black trim peak
    • Storage Bag
    • Manual
    • SCHUBERTH SC1M
      • Charging cable
      • RC3 Remote with holder and extra battery
      • Quick Start Instructions

[​IMG]

After several weeks of riding, these are my thoughts on the SCHUBERTH M1 PRO.

The Exterior​

The M1 PRO helmets are made using SCHUBERTH’s Direct Fiber Processing (DFP). This enables a low weight with optimum stability. It is a technology for the automated production of helmet shells made of glass fibers.

And this is how it works:

An endless glass thread is cut by a robot and blown into a mold. The result is the preform of the helmet shell. This preform is pressed with the addition of a precisely defined amount of resin and under high pressure to a helmet shell with exceptional strength. A multi-part construction of the inner shell allows high power consumption and thus ensures more safety.

The SCHUBERTH literature indicates a weight starting 1450 grams including speakers and microphones. With the largest shell and no visor/peak attached (the visor may be counted as an accessory), my imprecise scale came in just under 1500 grams. By comparison, a large Shoei J-Cruise weighs about 1600 grams.

The shell has an air intake port on the top. The shape includes a ridge across the upper back and a small spoiler at the bottom that adds to the modern styling. At the center of the back is a protective cap that can be removed to add the SC1M communicator.

The only graphics on this solid color M1 PRO is the SCHUBERTH logo and name at the back. The SCHUBERTH logo and name are reflective, as well a two wedge sections at the top of the eye-port.

Paint & Colorways​

The M1 PRO comes in three solid colors and four graphics. The following colors are from the SCHUBERTH website.

[​IMG]

Matte Stone Gray / Matte Black / Glossy White

Striker Black / Striker White

Triple Red / Triple Yellow

I have inspected the paint after removing bugs from several rides, plus a few accidental bumps, and the paint looks as good as new. Although, I do think the matte grey finish may be a challenge to keep clean.

webBikeWorld works closely with Revzilla, 2WHEEL, and Amazon to provide our testers with quality products to review. While we have an affiliate relationship and receive a commission from items purchased, this addition comes at no additional cost to you. It is the primary way we pay for our site and reviewers.

RevZilla

[​IMG]

The Interior​

The interior of the helmet is made from a soft grey material that fits together very precisely. The interior has a removable and washable inner lining which SCHUBERTH says is allergen-free and anti-bacterial (Oeko-Tex 100 certified). Oeko-Tex textiles and fabrics are certified free of harmful chemicals and are safe for human use.

[​IMG]

The interior liner is made up of seven removal pieces:

• The two cheek pads are held in place with snaps
    • The crown is made up of two pieces that interlock and snap at the front and clip in at the back.
    • The center top interlocks with the crown
    • The two side curtains are secured with plastic edging that is tightly secured between the shell and the EPS liner

Many of the pieces link together to allow for the use of fewer snaps. This makes for a very seamless looking interior with fewer chances of pressure points. This also means that you need to pay attention when removing pieces to make things much easier when it comes time to reassemble.

Everything appears to be well made. If you take care of the helmet I wouldn’t foresee any issues with durability.

[​IMG]

One of the main features with the M1 PRO is the integration of speakers and microphones. The speakers are mounted in elongated cutouts in the EPS to offer you a range of customization should you want to adjust their placement. The two microphones are also in cutouts in the EPS at the front of the cheek extensions.

The wiring and components are neatly tucked away, with the interior liner installed you wouldn’t know it was there.

There are no cutouts for eyeglasses, but with a built-in sun visor, there is no need for sunglasses. I did slip on a pair of reading glasses and I had no issue putting them on or taking them off.

[​IMG]

Overall Build Quality​

SCHUBERTH has a reputation for quality products. The M1 PRO did not disappoint. The paint quality, fit and finish, and materials used all appear to be very good.

Fit & Feel​

Sizing​

The helmet comes in sizes XS (53), S(55), M(57), L(59), XL(61) and XXL(63). There are two shell sizes available.

Based on the sizing chart, my 61.5 cm head was slightly larger than XL. Based on previous experience I typically wear an XXL. So I went with my gut and ordered the XXL. I found the XXL to fit comfortably. I am sure I could have fit into the XL and had a tighter fit. I found the helmet to feel light while wearing.

Comfort​

The SCHUBERTH M1 PRO comes in intermediate oval head shape. This happens to the shape that I find to be most comfortable. The liner felt plush with no pressure points. I used the helmet on several all-day 500 km plus rides and would say it was one of the most comfortable helmets I have worn. I came away very impressed with the comfort.

I thought with being an open face helmet I would get additional buffeting. This was not the case, the helmet felt very stable. I did most of my riding behind the windshield of my Stratoliner, so lack of buffeting would be expected. So, I made several shorter rides on the ZRX from going around town to 140 km/h runs down the freeway, and I never felt any substantial buffeting. I think this can be attributed to SCHUBERTH design and wind tunnel testing.

The M1 has a quick release micro lock ratchet chin strap buckle. The straps are well-padded and nice and long. I found it quick and easy to use and did a great job of securing my chins (all of them) in place.

[​IMG]

Air Management​

It’s an open face helmet, therefore lots of air – end of story. Well, not quite.

The addition of a top vent provides airflow over the top of your head. The vent has two positions, open and closed. The intake is very easy to operate with a gloved hand. Simply slide the cap rearward to open and forward to close.

The EPS layer has ventilation channels which allow air to move over your head. Even though there are channels cut into the EPS liner, because of the lack of exhaust port, there is no way for the air to move over the top of your head.

I found that the large visor allowed me to control the air that came in around my face, and the top vent allowed me extra air around my head in warmer weather. (One thing to note: if you open the visor it will partially block the volume of air flowing into the top vent. Plus you have the option to replace the visor with the trim peak to get even more air.)

The M1 PRO makes for a very good all-weather helmet, but, in particular, was great on those days when the temperature starts to rise.

[​IMG]

Visors & Vision​

SCHUBERTH state that M1 PRO has an Optical Class I visor. The visor itself is very thick with a solid feel and seals tightly to the rubber seal across the top of the eye-port. It has a flat viewing surface and is distortion-free.

The visor has two solid detents, one at the top, the other at the bottom. Between these two positions, the visor moves with a smooth and solid feel. I was able to ride at normal speeds with the visor in any position without it moving.

The visor is an easy no-tools-required detach and install. Simply open the visor to the upper position and push the tabs on both sides toward the front of the helmet. This allows you to lift the visor slightly and it pops out. To reinstall, just reverse the steps and the visor locks in place. The trim peak installs in the same manner as the visor and hides the mounting point.

[​IMG]

The visor also comes anti-fog ready. The anti-fog insert is optional at a cost of $79. At this price point, I would like to see the anti-fog lense included as standard.

I can confirm that this is perhaps the clearest visor I have had on a helmet.

Replacement visors cost about $80 for clear, $90 for light or dark smoke, and $100 for silver or blue mirrored.

[​IMG]

But wait, there’s more.

As with many modern helmets, the M1 PRO also has an internal tinted sun visor. In this case a dark smoke. Like the main visor, the sun visor is optically clear with no distortion.

The sun visor is operated by a slide mechanism on the bottom left of the helmet. It appears to be cable operated, allowing the visor to set in any position. I think this is a great feature, as many spring-operated visors force you to ride in the fully down position. A fellow rider mentioned that he did not like internal visors because they hit his nose. The infinite slide operation solves this problem.

Replacement sun visors cost about $50 for clear, $60 for dark smoke, and $70 for hi-def yellow and silver or blue mirrored.

[​IMG]

As with many open face helmets vision is great. The eye port is very large. I would rate vision as very good.

Noise Assessment & Management​

Noise assessment, without the tools and skills to measure decibel levels under a multitude of test conditions, is purely subjective. So, as I do not have any highly calibrated tools or the skills to use them, I will attempt to assess the noise levels I experienced using the SCHUBERTH M1 PRO.

From SCHUBERTH:

The M1 PRO is optimally prepared for riding with and without a visor.

Thanks to the new acoustics with optimized neck cushion and noise reduction around the mechanical attachments, the M1 PRO achieves approx. 85 dB(A) at 100 km/h on a naked motorcycle.

[​IMG]

Being an open face helmet I didn’t have high expectations with regard to noise management. I was pleasantly surprised.

In terms of noise management, this helmet has only one air intake (closable) and no exhaust ports to create air turbulence. Also, the eye-port has a tight-fitting seal to the top of the visor. The bottom side of the helmet has a large neck curtain along with the tight-fitting sun visor mechanism.

The SC1M communications device fits discreetly at the back of the helmet. These things, along with some wind tunnel testing, as made for a surprisingly quiet open face helmet.

I used the helmet on two different bikes, one a naked with a small bikini fairing (Kawasaki ZRX 1100), the other a cruiser based touring bike with a full fairing (Yamaha Stratoliner). I usually ride with earplugs, but for the purposes of this review, I also spent time riding without them.

Behind the full fairing, the helmet was extremely quiet, with or without earplugs. Riding the ZRX was a better test of noise management. Again, I was pleasantly surprised at the noise levels.

Given my conditions for testing, I would assess the noise management as very good.

RevZilla

[​IMG]

The SCHUBERTH SC1M (by Sena): Installation & Usability​

[​IMG]

Installation​

When a helmet comes with the speakers and microphones preinstalled, you expect the installation of the communications device to be easy. You would be correct.

When I read the review for the C4 Pro, Cam mentioned that the SC1 installation is “so hilariously easy that it’s not even worth discussing at length”. Well, things just got easier. For the SC1M the battery is integrated into the unit.

[​IMG]

No tools needed here! Simply remove the panel at the rear of the helmet and replace it with the SC1M… DONE.

The SC1M does not contain any of the typical Sena control buttons, only an on/off button and LED function indicator light. The controls are handled by the included Sena RC3 remote control. The RC3 comes already paired to the SC1M.

The remote includes various ways to adhere the remote to your helmet or motorcycle. I chose to use the include holder/clip. When wearing short gloves, I clip the remote to the end of my jacket sleeve. In the case of gloves with gauntlets, I flip the remote around and clip it to the top of the gauntlet.

[​IMG]

In-Helmet Audio & Calling​

I have owned a pair of Sena SMH10 units for many years, so I am aware of the functions of Sena products. As the RC3 does not include the jog dial found on the SMH10, I quickly reviewed the quick start guide to understand the functions of the buttons. The guide clearly lays out the basic functions for intercom pairing, mobile phone pairing, music, and FM radio.

For my first ride, the other riders did not have Bluetooth communicators, so I paired the SC1M to just my phone. The phone was mounted to the bike to use as a GPS. The pairing never dropped, and I did not notice any disruption in the audio signal and the sound quality was very good.

My next long ride included two riders with Sena communicators. We quickly paired up to each other and had a group chat going in no time. Everything seemed fine until we were on the road. I could hear each of them, they could hear each other, but they were having difficulty hearing me.

As it was my brother and a friend, and they knew I was doing a review, I naturally thought they were messing with me. Something I might do if the roles were reversed. They assured me they were not. They could hear me, but the volume was very low and sounded distant.

I assume this is due to the microphones being inside the helmet and not directly in front of your mouth. I contacted Sena support and they said:

Unfortunately, there is no way to “increase the volume produced from the microphones” or a way to change the mic gain settings.

That is great feedback to share. Since the SC1M is SCHUBERTH property please share this experience as well with them so that they are aware of this for future improvement to the product.

Usability​

As mentioned earlier the control of all functionality is handled by the RC3. The buttons on the remote are large with pronounced + and – on the outer buttons.

Unlike most devices that have the controls on the device, the remote allows you the flexibility to place the controls where you find it most comfortable. As mentioned earlier, I chose to use the clip and attach it to my sleeve or glove.

From Sena (HELP DESK/FORUM):

The SCHUBERTH products created in partnership with Sena are equivalent in technology, features, and functionality to several of Sena’s current leading products. For clarification, please see below for a reference of which products are similar to the SCHUBERTH products:

SC1M is equivalent to Sena 10R functionality.

And it just so happens that wBW did a full review of the Sena 10R.

Sena has made advances beyond the 10 Series devices, with the 30 Series including mesh technology. At the price point for the M1 PRO, I think many people that purchase this helmet would expect the latest technology to be included. I understand that to achieve the seamless integration found in this helmet, there may be limitations due to size and other factors.

That being said, Sena has recently released the Sena +Mesh Bluetooth to Mesh Intercom Adapter. Our own Bruce Cole has a detailed review on wBW… “This simple adapter gives new life and a range boost to Sena non-mesh systems (old or new) so they can function as part of the ‘mesh’ collective provided by the Sena 30K system and soon, the Sena Momentum EVO with Mesh.”

Read Bruce’s full review of the Sena +Mesh – Bluetooth to Mesh Intercom Adapter.

Some of the key features included on the SC1M:

• Up to 14 hours talk time, 1 week standby time
    • Charges in just 3 hours
    • Intercom conference for up to four participants
    • With Advanced Noise Control™, VHF radio, music sharing so everyone can enjoy the same music together, VOX voice commands and smartphone app for iOS and Android
    • Up to two Bluetooth devices
    • Operated using the remote control included
    • Plug & play: Takes less than one minute to install

SCHUBERTH SC1M also provides an app for Android and Apple that allows you to update firmware, modify settings, and view the quick guide and manual.

[​IMG]Conclusion​

[​IMG]

The SCHUBERTH M1 PRO is a class-leading entry in the open-face helmet range. It has an outstanding build quality and an extensive list of features. For a long day of riding, the SCHUBERTH M1 PRO ticks all the boxes.

The SCHUBERTH SC1M is about as nicely integrated into the helmet as you can get. Although the integration is beautiful, it falls a little short on execution with the microphone volume levels and device specs.

The M1 PRO list price ranges from $499 to $599. Add the SC1M for $269 and we’re at a price level that may be out of reach for many riders. And if you want to be part of the Sena mesh connected group you will need to add another $179 for Sena +Mesh adapter. Want a Pinlock? Add another $79.

That said, a quick look at the Revzilla website shows that many sizes for the M1 PRO are currently out of stock at the time this was written.

Bottom line, if you can justify the cost, the SCHUBERTH M1 PRO is a fantastic helmet that has just about everything any motorcyclist needs.

Pros

• Fit & finish
    • Quality construction & materials
    • Comfort
    • Noise management
    • Distortion-free visor
    • Features
    • Lightweight
    • Seamless communications integration
    Cons

• Price
    • Pinlock not included
    • Microphone gain levels
    • SC1M spec level

Specs

• Manufacturer: SCHUBERTH
    • Price – M1 PRO: (When Tested) $499 to $599
    • Price – SC1M: (When Tested) $269
    • Made In: Germany
    • Colors: Matte Stone Gray / Matte Black / Glossy White /Striker Black / Striker White Triple Red / Triple Yellow
    • Sizes: 2 Shell Sizes: XS, S, M & L, XL, XXL
    • Review Period: July and August 2019

RevZilla

[​IMG]

SCHUBERTH M1 PRO + Sena SC1M Image Gallery​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The post SCHUBERTH M1 PRO + SC1M: Modern Open Face & Integrated Electronics appeared first on webBikeWorld.

ความคิดเห็น

การสนทนาใน 'Inter News' เริ่มโดย Inter News, 23 สิงหาคม 2019

แบ่งปันหน้านี้