ICON Women’s Automag 2 Jacket: A Game Changer in Versatility

การสนทนาใน 'Inter News' เริ่มโดย Inter News, 6 มิถุนายน 2019

By Inter News on 6 มิถุนายน 2019 at 14:53
  1. Inter News

Inter News Moderator ทีมงานสมาชิก

ข้อความ:
    When it comes to the Women’s Automag 2 jacket, ICON Motosports claims, “We understand the core needs of the street-focused rider.” They aren’t lying. The jacket does many things and does them all well, which is a rare find for a price under $250.

The Automag 2 doesn’t just perform well, it also looks the part. Bold styling, clean lines, and pops of contrasting color allow for an edgy look. Any street rider wearing this jacket will stand out – in a good way – without trying. For those wanting to stand out with some bright colors and crazy graphics can look to my review of the Overlord SB2 Wild Child jacket from ICON.

[​IMG]

Fit & Form​

The Automag 2 is a full textile jacket – not to be confused with mesh. To get an idea of what the jacket feels like, the chassis is made of 600-denier nylon that is soft to the touch, does not stretch when pulled, and allows for very light airflow if any.

Rider fatigue is minimized because this material is lightweight, while rider safety is still a focus as the material is also moderately abrasion resistant and will likely hold up to an in-town street crash (more on safety a bit later).

Shopping Now? We Recommend:

webBikeWorld works closely with Revzilla, 2WHEEL, and Amazon to provide our testers with quality products to review. While we have an affiliate relationship and receive a commission from items purchased, this addition comes at no additional cost to you. It is the primary way we pay for our site and reviewers.

RevZilla

[​IMG]

Free shipping on orders over $40
    30-day no-nonsense return policy
    Excellent selection of all major brands
    Awesome pricing

Buy This Jacket on RevZilla

2WHEEL

[​IMG]

Free shipping on orders over $49
    Free returns within 30 days
    All major brands
    Cashback!

Buy This Jacket on 2Wheel

Fit for a Female​

The cut of the Automag 2 allows room for curves but isn’t bulky or bunchy. Larger chested women will be happy with the amount of space provided by the princess seams. Women with longer torsos will be thankful for the generous length, especially in the back. Comparatively, the ICON 1000 MH1000 jacket I reviewed was more suited for a woman with a smaller bust.

[​IMG]

Although the Automag 2 doesn’t include stretch panels in the hips, the generous cut makes up for it without compromising abrasion resistance in a major impact zone.

A YKK double zipper has been included as the main torso zipper, which allows for even more room in the hips if needed. This also prevents the jacket from riding up when sitting, making it more comfortable and providing better coverage over the lower back

[​IMG]

Styling​

Simple but bold. The large edgy logo across the front makes this jacket pop without being graphic-heavy. The look is aggressive without venturing into the “tactical” realm. The logo design is sublimated (aka ink infused) rather than screen-printed so it won’t crack or peel regardless of the large area it covers.

The Automag 2 look is not inherently feminine, but is not overly masculine, meaning anyone can wear it without a second thought.

Flexibility​

[​IMG]

Accordion flex panels behind the shoulders and above the elbows allow for flexibility where it’s essential, especially for aggressive riding positions like on most sportbikes, and forward controls found on choppers and street rods.

Stretch twill is located on the inside of the arms from armpit to wrist to maximize comfort, breathability, and movement when on or off the bike.

Function​

[​IMG]

Adjustability​

Arm straps, dubbed “wind straps” by ICON, give the wearer the ability to customize the “tightness” of the sleeves in both the upper and lower section of each arm. This reduces any flapping that might occur at higher speeds and allows for release-and-relax when off the bike for better comfort.

These straps are adjustable even while wearing gloves, providing a convenient way to custom-tailor the jacket when stopped at a red light.

Ventilation​

Two “intake” vents in the front, and two “exhaust” vents in back, both located on the upper torso, allow for air to flow freely through the Automag 2 at street speeds.

Add a cooling base layer or an evaporative cooling vest underneath, and this turns the Automag 2 into an on-bike air conditioner on a hot summer day.

[​IMG]

Double wrist zippers are located on both sleeves, allowing for even more airflow while keeping the jacket tight around the wrist for a more fitted feel.

The insulated liner is also equipped with vented mesh in the armpits, allowing for some airflow in the most important place even when the temperature is lower.

webBikeWorld works closely with Revzilla, 2WHEEL, and Amazon to provide our testers with quality products to review. While we have an affiliate relationship and receive a commission from items purchased, this addition comes at no additional cost to you. It is the primary way we pay for our site and reviewers.

RevZilla

[​IMG]

Awesome pricing

2WHEEL

[​IMG]

All major brands
    Cashback!

Wet Weather​

The Automag 2 is not marketed as a water-resistant jacket. Fortunately for me, I was able to test its wet-weather performance in Southern California in January. I was heading off on a group ride, where our first stop was an hour away.

As soon as we took off, it started to drizzle and within 5 minutes, the drizzle had graduated to decent rainfall. I had prepared by wearing a neck gaiter, hair cover, and gauntlet gloves, none of which were waterproof.

I thought I had made a big mistake by skipping the rain jacket. Low and behold, at our first stop, my torso was completely dry after 30 minutes of highway riding in the rain (I was tucked the entire way to avoid water getting into the main torso zipper).

My hands were not so lucky. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the jacket stood up to the rain when it wasn’t designed specifically for inclement weather. I’d gladly choose to ride in light rain in this jacket again given the chance.

[​IMG]

Liner​

For cooler temperatures, the full sleeve insulated liner packs a powerful punch against the cold. I would choose to wear this jacket as-is on crispy mornings, and with a warming base layer, the Automag 2 will perform well all the way to about 40F. Anything below 40F and I’d switch to my heavy-duty cold weather jacket (or not ride at all, brrr!).

Protection​

The Automag 2 has been designed with different levels of protection purposefully distributed into specific zones on the body to allow for the most protection where it matters. Comfort features mentioned above, like accordion flex panels and stretch twill, are located in low or non-impact areas, allowing for flexibility without compromising safety in case of a crash.

[​IMG]

Impact​

ICON has placed ballistic nylon (1680 denier) and CE level 1 D3O armor in the areas most susceptible to damage, including the elbows and shoulders. There’s also a CE level 1 D30 back protector included, which adds important protection without emptying your wallet.

*Take note on these safety features: This is exactly where most off-the-rack jackets fall short.

[​IMG]

Visibility​

The Automag 2 features six (6) incognito reflective panels, meaning they are extremely subtle in the grand scheme of the design. At night, when light is shined on the jacket from any angle, the reflective panels shine back.

Here are where the panels are located:

• Two panels on the front of the body are located on the pocket zippers (lower torso)
    • Two panels on the back of the body are located at the ventilation zippers (upper back)
    • Two panels are located below the shoulders (upper arm, profile view)

The location of the reflective panels allows for maximum opportunity for light to hit the jacket from any angle on the street, increasing the chances of being seen in the dark.

Contrasting color panels on the chest (white, grey, pink) also lend a small hand in the visibility game during daylight. If the color isn’t your thing, the jacket does also come in “stealth” – all black with ghosted logos.

[​IMG]

A+ for the Automag​

After 5 months of testing, the ICON Automag 2 has become a staple in my gear closet and is easily the most comfortable riding jacket I have ever worn.

The Automag 2 is a game changer when it comes to comfort and versatility. It has quickly become a staple in my gear closet and is easily the most comfortable riding jacket I have ever worn.

This jacket does everything it is designed to do (and more) and does it well. The Automag 2 is comfortable, adjustable, versatile for many types of weather, not overly feminine or masculine, and protective for general street riding.

Falling into the “under $250” price bracket, this jacket is a top performer at a suggested retail price of $235. In this category, it deserves 5 out of 5 stars.

Pros

• Modern Styling
    • Generous Cut for Curves
    • Versatile for Dry/Wet/Hot/Warm/Cool Weather
    • Adjustable Fit
    • Multiple Color Options
    Cons

• Not for Freezing Temperatures

Specs

• Manufacturer: ICON
    • Price (When Tested): $235 USD
    • Designed and Developed In: Portland, Oregon, USA
    • Alternative models & colors: Grey, Pink, or Stealth
    • Sizes: XS – 2XL
    • Review Date: May 15, 2019

RevZilla

[​IMG]

Awesome pricing

2WHEEL

[​IMG]

All major brands
    Cashback!

ICON Motosports Women’s Automag 2 Image Gallery​

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The post ICON Women’s Automag 2 Jacket: A Game Changer in Versatility appeared first on webBikeWorld.

ความคิดเห็น

การสนทนาใน 'Inter News' เริ่มโดย Inter News, 6 มิถุนายน 2019

แบ่งปันหน้านี้